81st Anniversary of St Aidan`s Print Page Print this page

The stained glass window erected in 1973, during the anniversary celebrations, commemorates the 81st anniversary of the church. 

The ceremony of laying the foundation stone of St. Aidan's Church of England, Johnston-street, Annandale, was performed on Saturday afternoon by the Primate, Dr. Saumarez Smith. The edifice is now in course of erection. In January last the committee commissioned Mr. John S. E. Ellis, architect, of Pitt-street, to prepare a design for the work and to superintend its erection. The portion comprised in the contract now let is the completion of the nave,which will provide accommodation for 340 adults. The seating of the building is also included in the contract. Two porches are to be provided, one at the west end and the other at the north end.

These are to be executed in brick and timber, and in that style of architecture that prevailed towards the close of the fifteenth century. The windows are to be all single-light openings, with Gothic heads of about the same period as the porches. The glazing will be tinted Cathedral quarries, glass in lead with the usual casements to open for ventilation. The building will be roofed with an open timbered roof, and the artificial lighting will be by gas, sunlights, and brackets.The church is designed for the addition of a chancel at the east end, which will contain the choir and sanctuary. Provision for the chancel arch has been made in the present east wall; but it is not decided yet whether transept will be added. The builder is Mr. A. Graham, and the architect Mr. J. S. E. Ellis. 
Sydney Morning Herald (NSW ), 25 July 1892.

Note: St Aidan`s is now known as Village Church, Annandale.



Address:Johnston & Booth Streets, Village Church, Annandale, Annandale, 2038
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.881389
Long: 151.170278
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:Culture
Approx. Event Start Date:1892
Approx. Event End Date:1973


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1973
Source: H, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au