Centenary of St Andrew`s ChurchPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by John Huth

The plaque commemorates the centenary of the laying of the foundation stone of the church in 1880. It was originally opened as a Presbyterian Church. 

Large numbers of country people arrived in town on Saturday night to participate in the opening services in the pretty little church that has just been completed by our Presbyterian friends. A little before 11 o'clock on Sunday morning, the bell was rung for the first Sabbath service, and the worshippers began to wend their way thither. 

The Presbyterian Church is of the pointed style of architecture, and the original design is very ornate. Mr. Elphinstone, junior is the architect. The estimated cost being greater than the intended outlay, the designs prepared so effectively by Mr Elphinstone were reduced by the Rev. R. Leigh, a liberal-souled minister of the Church of England who has much experience in the building of sacred edifices. 

After a great struggle on the part of the Rev. J. H. Archibald, M.A., Messrs. W. Jardine, W. B. Crang, W. W. Beattie, W. Oliver, and other members of committee, aided by hearty subscriptions from members of other denominations whose names we believe have been published in this journal, the contract for the erection of the Presbyterian Church in Cooma was signed on the 25th of November, 1879 and the date for completion was fixed for the 21st March, 1881.  The foundation-stone, was laid by Mr. Joseph Paxton, J.P., in the 9th or 10th March, 1880, in the presence of the Revs. J. H; Archibald and W. Baker, ministers of the church, also of Revs. Canon Druitt and R.Leigh, of the Church of England, and a large public assemblage.
The Manaro Mercury, and Cooma and Bombala Advertiser (NSW), 
29 March 1882.


Address:59 - 65 Soho Street, St Andrew's Uniting Church, Cooma, 2630
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.238186
Long: 149.124179
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Approx. Event Start Date:1880
Approx. Event End Date:1980


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 1st March, 1980
Front Inscription

To the glory of God

This plaque was unveiled by the President of the Uniting Church in Australia Rev. Winston D. O`Reilly O.B.E., M.A., M.Ed., Dip. Soc. Sci., M.A.C.E. on the centenary of the laying of the foundation stone of St. Andrews., Cooma.

1st March 1980

Source: H, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au