First Sunday School & Opening of Primitive Methodist ChapelPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Denis Binnion

The plaque commemorates the first Sunday School building which was opened in April 1888, and the opening of Primitive Methodist Chapel in September 1890.

For some considerable time the Primitive Methodists Cooke's Plains have held their services in a woolshed and other buildings, but desiring a building of their own they set to work,and after many difficulties succeeded in obtaining land, then all hands commenced the work of building. On Saturday, Sept.27th, a tea and public meeting to celebrate the opening of the chapel took place, when a large number of persons assembled, the latter meeting being presided over by Mr. J. Hender, and addresses delivered by Rev. H. Hartley(minister of the circuit) and Mr. W. W. Winwood. On Sunday,September 28th, sermons were preached by the above named gentlemen to good congregations.

It is gratifying to know that the building is opened free of debt. Thanks are due to Messrs, J. Hender, Brown, Hodgson, Pope, Gaurblin and Williams, for their labours of love, also to Mrs. J. Hender, who made all the good things for the tea meeting. 
Christian Colonist (SA), 24 October 1890.



Address:Darwin Road, Cooke Plains, 5261
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.379502
Long: 139.561099
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Actual Event Start Date:
Actual Event End Date:


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 28th September, 1980
Front Inscription

This plaque commemorates the first Sunday School building which was opened on 22nd April 1888, and the opening of this Primitive Methodist Chapel on 27th September 1890

Unveiled by Mrs. O. G. Smyth and dedicated by Rev. F. Woods on 28th September, 1980

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au