www.monumentaustralia.org.au

50th Anniversary of Pilgrims of Zion Lutheran ChurchPrint Page Print this page

12-August-2021
12-August-2021

Photographs supplied by Georgina Bliss

The plaque commemorates the 50th anniversary of the Pilgrims of Zion Lutheran Church from 1873 to 1923. 

In 1870 a new settlement was formed in the Murray Flat, which was named "Sedan''. Most of the settlers were Lutherans, coming from Langmeil and Bethany and some other congregations. In 1871 they requested Pastor J. C. Auricht, Langmeil, who founded the congregation. Services were at first conducted at Mr. J. W. Pfeiffer's. Messrs J. W. Burgemeister, E. J. P. Kaesler and J. F. E. Schwartz were elected lay-readers. The congregation consisted of 83 communicants; arrangements were later made to build a church, a Mr Macgary presenting the congregation with a piece of land. The tender of Mr. F. Liebich, Angas Park was accepted and foundation stone was laid on Sept.29. 1873 and on Novr. 23 the building was dedicated. 

As the congregation had increased and the old building needed repairs it was resolved in 1922 to mark the Jubilee church of the by erecting a new one.,60 x 30 x 18 feet. Mr. J. Rasch made the plans and specifications and supervised the work. This new church dedicated on November 25. 1923. 

The building of the Lutheran Church, which is to be called the Sedan Golden Jubilee Church, is nearing completion, and the bell which is being imported from America is expected to arrive shortly. The opening date is practically fixed for 25th November. 
Leader (Angaston, SA), 7 September 1923. 

Location

Address:Sedan Hill Road, Pilgrims of Zion Lutheran Church, Sedan, 5353
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.572534
Long: 139.294053
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1873
Approx. Event End Date:1923

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 25th November, 1923
Front Inscription

Zur Erinnerung

An das 50 jahrige Jubilaum

1873 - 1923

1. Petri 2 . 5

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design