www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Dominican SistersPrint Page Print this page

10-August-2021
10-August-2021

Photographs supplied by Paul Scott

The "Priory Rose" was planted to commemorate the Dominican Sisters from Stone, Staffordshire, England who establised a community on this site in 1883.

The Dominican Sisters belong to an order of nuns, priests and laity inspired by St Dominic , the founder of the order and St Catherine of Siena who is referred to as the co-founder. The Order was established in Europe in 1221.

In 1868 the Bishop of Adelaide invited seven Dominican sisters from Cabra, a school in Ireland, to South Australia to open a convent and school, the Cabra Dominican Convent.

 

Location

Address:139 Molesworth Street, St Dominic's Priory College, North Adelaide, 5006
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.908426
Long: 138.585701
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Garden
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1883
Approx. Event End Date:2003

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 24th August, 2003
Front Inscription

1883 - 2003

The "Priory Rose"

120 years ago, Dominican Sisters - from Stone in Staffordshire, England establised a community on this site.

The "Priory Rose" is planted here in their honour by the St Dominic`s Priory College Old Scholars

24 August 2003

 

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design