Restoration of The Murphy BellPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Paul Scott

The restoration of the 120 year old Murphy Bell commemorates the pioneers of All Saints Parish. 

The Murphy Bell fully restored in 2004, was cast by J. Murphy in Dublin in 1883 for the princely sum of 100 pounds. The bell is decorated with the symbol of a shamrock and harp with the words - “Sancta Maria et Omnes Sancti intercedant pro nobis ad domunum” which means “Holy Mary and All Saints intercede for us to the Lord”.

This icon of All Saints stood in a small bell house for nearly 100 years before being placed into the bell tower in 1976. Its wonderful sound can be heard calling people to prayer each week.


Address:Princes Highway & Flinders Terrace, All Saints Catholic Church, Port Augusta, 5710
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.490872
Long: 137.767113
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Technology
Monument Theme:Culture


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 29th February, 2004
Front Inscription

The restoration of the 120 Year Old Bell is dedicated to the memory of the pioneers of this Parish

It was made possible through the generosity of the Knights of the Southern Cross, Catholic Womens League, Pt Augusta City Council and the goodwill of our Parishioners also the efforts of Fr David Wilke C. P.

The bell was blessed by the Most Reverend Bishop Hurley Bishop of the Diocese of Port Pirie on this day 29 February 2004

Plaque :

The people of All Saints Parish gratefully acknowledge the kind donation by Port Augusta City Council towards the restoration of the Murphy Bell which was blessed by the Most Reverend Bishop Hurley Bishop of the Diocese of Port Pirie on this day 29 February 2004

Source: MA,PS
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au