www.monumentaustralia.org.au

80th Anniversary of St James Anglican ChurchPrint Page Print this page

03-August-2021
03-August-2021

Photographs supplied by Paul Scott

The belfry of the church was rebuilt and a new bell donated to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the building of the church.

In February 1869, Rev Charles William Morse, the newly appointed ‘Officiating Minister of Yankalilla’, called a meeting at Glenburn (now Delamere) ‘to consider all matters concerning the establishing of a church service at this place’.

The foundation stone was laid on 19 September 1870. Although the church was not quite completed, the dedication was performed by Bishop Augustus Short on Thursday, 4 May 1871, in the presence of five hundred people, including the Governor, Sir James Fergusson.

The unity of Delamere district was demonstrated in St. James's Church when the Methodist congregation joined with the Anglicans in a service of thanksgiving for 80 years of witness and Christian teaching. The service was conducted by the rector (Rev. V. F. Meyer) and the Rural Dean (Rev. H. Woolnough) was the special preacher. The service was the climax of a week's festival which began when the Bishop (Rt. Rev. B. P. Robin) celebrated Holy Com munion and addressed the large congregation. The Ven. Archdeacon A. E. Weston, of Glenelg, came down for the Sunday morning service and many who had been unable to attend the earlier celebrations were present on this occasion. To commemorate the observance and to add to the beauty of the church building the committee plan to build a Lych gate in bluestone, incorporating a bell tower to house a large bronze and silver bell which was given this year to St James by the British Admiralty.
Advertiser (Adelaide), 10 May 1951.

 

Location

Address:Main Road South, St James Anglican Church, Delamere, 5204
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.572021
Long: 138.194384
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1871
Approx. Event End Date:1951

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:Circa 1951
Front Inscription

Plaque :

A. M. D. G.

To commemorate the 80th anniversary of the building of this Church, the belfry was re-built and a new bell was donated by Capt. F. E. Hobart R. N.

 

Left Side Inscription

 

 

Source: MA,PS
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design