Order of PreachersPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Paul Scott

The sculpture of St Dominic commemorates members of the Order of Preachers who have preached the Catholic faith in Canberra.

The Order of Preachers, whose members are known as Dominicans (Latin: Ordo Praedicatorum, post nominal abbreviation OP), is a mendicant order of the Catholic Church founded in Toulouse, France, by the Spanish priest Saint Dominic. It was approved by Pope Honorius III via the papal bull Religiosam vitam on 22 December 1216.

Members of the order, who are referred to as Dominicans, generally carry the letters OP after their names, standing for Ordinis Praedicatorum, meaning of the Order of Preachers. Membership in the order includes friars, nuns, active sisters, and affiliated lay or secular Dominicans (formerly known as tertiaries, though recently there has been a growing number of associates who are unrelated to the tertiaries).

Founded to preach the Gospel and to oppose heresy, the teaching activity of the order and its scholastic organisation placed the Preachers in the forefront of the intellectual life of the Middle Ages.  The order is famed for its intellectual tradition, having produced many leading theologians and philosophers. 


Address:Franklin & Furneaux Streets, Saint Christopher's Roman Catholic Cathedral, Forrest, 2603
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.319079
Long: 149.132575
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:Culture


Front Inscription

In honour of the Order of Preachers, the sons and daughters of St Dominic who have proclaimed the truth of The Gospel in  this city

Plaque :


Born at Calaruega in Spain about the year 1170, Dominic studied Theology at Palencia and became a Canon of the Cathedral of Osma.

He preached against the Albigensian heresy, and in order to pursue his defence of the true faith, especially the truth of Incarnation, he gathered a group of companions who eventually became the Order of Preachers.

St Dominic died on 6 August in 1221 at Bologna.

Source: MA,PS
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au