50 Years of St Andrew`s ChurchPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Paul Scott

The stained glass window featuring St David, commemorates 50 years of St Andrew`s Church from 1848 to 1898.

Monday was the fiftieth anniversary of the dedication of St. Andrews Church, Walkerville. On August 22, 1848, the church was opened for public worship, and on Sunday last Archdeacon Dove, the rector of the parish, made special reference to the event. He took for the text of his sermon Psalm xxvi. 8, and gave a brief sketch of the history of the church, showing the progress that had been made in its spiritual and material welfare during the past half-century.

For some time after its dedication services were conducted there by priests from the city until in 1862 he was appointed to the incumbency, which position he had ever since occupied. He spoke appreciatively of the generosity of the members of the congregation, and referred to the many improvements which had been made to the church since that time. He was thankful for the mercies extended to them, and exhorted the congregation to take more interest in their religious duties. It intended to celebrate the jubilee by the erection of a new window, and the fiftieth anniversary of the church will be observed on November 11.
Express and Telegraph (Adelaide), 23 August 1898.



Address:43 Church Terrace, St Andrew`s Anglican Church, Walkerville, 5081
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.891849
Long: 138.615977
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:Culture
Approx. Event Start Date:1848
Approx. Event End Date:1898


Front Inscription

King David

In grateful memory of 50 years past 

1848 - 1898

Source: MA,PS
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au