www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Pioneers of St Andrew`s ChurchPrint Page Print this page

19-July-2021
19-July-2021
Photographs supplied by Robert Morris

The memorial stone commemorates the pioneers who built St Andrew`s Church in 1844.

As a fitting, contribution to the State Centenary Celebrations in Strathalbyn, the congregation of the Presbyterian Church have decided to fulfill a long-felt desire to make a permanent record of tie founding of the Church, and a memorial of the pioneers who built the church. A tablet of Scotch red granite, suitably inscribed was placed in the front of the church. The stone will be unveiled on Saturday, 18th July, by M. Gemmell Rankine, Esq., a descendant of the pioneers in whose home the first religious service in the district was held.

The Moderator of the State Assembly (the Right Rev. D. D. Munro, M.A.) and the Rev. George Anderson, M.A., will be present. At 3 p.m. a service of remembrance and thanksgiving will be held in the Church, after which the memorial stone will be unveiled and dedicated. It is anticipated that many who have had associations with the church will return for the occasion. A welcome is extended to all interested in pioneering days to be present at the service.
Southern Argus (Port Elliot, SA ), 9 July 1936.

 

Location

Address:10 Alfred Place, St. Andrew's Uniting Church, Strathalbyn, 5255
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.257048
Long: 138.892837
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1844

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 18th July, 1936
Front Inscription

To the glory of God

A memorial of the pioneers who erected the first church on this site.

A. D. 1844.

July 18. 1936.  Psalm 135 : 18.

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design