www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Pioneers of the Methodist ChurchPrint Page Print this page

06-July-2021
06-July-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The monument commemorates the pioneers of the Methodist Church.

Location

Address:Church Street, Methodist Cemetery, Salisbury, 5108
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.761618
Long: 138.645099
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1849

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 10th October, 1999
Front Inscription

Methodist - Uniting Church Salisbury

The first Primitive Methodist service in Salisbury was held in the spring of 1849. 

Their first church opened on the corner of John Street and Church Street in 1851. 

A larger church "Hephzibah" was opened adjacent to it in April 1858.  In March 1961, after 110 years on this site, the Methodist Congregation moved to a new church built on Park Terrace.  In 1977 the name changed to the Uniting Church in Australia.

This monument is a tribute to the pioneers who established the church and maintained it in Salisbury for 150 years.

To God be the glory

Unveiled by Frank and Joyce Potter 10th October 1999

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design