www.monumentaustralia.org.au

St Jude`s Anglican Church TowerPrint Page Print this page

01-February-2017
01-February-2017

Photographs supplied by Paul Scott

The church tower commemorates the pioneers, founders, past priests, rectors, and members of the church.

Morning Communion was celebrated at 8 o’clock at St Jude’s, Port Elliot, on Sunday last, the Bishop of Adelaide (Right Rev. Dr. A. Nutter Thomas) assisted by the Rev. L. B. Riley, late rector of St. Jude’s, officiating.  At 3 p.m., the dedication of the tower recently added to the church took place, the Bishop again officiating basing his discourses on "Quit ye like men —Be strong." There was a large attendance, including  many old time residents from Adelaide and other places. The Bishop was assisted in the service by the Revs. Riley and L Foote. 

Afternoon tea was served in the Parish Hall, where many old associations were revived. The Bishop, Rev. Riley and Mr. B S. Jobson (representing the Church of England), and Rev. H. L. Parker and Mr. C. R. Hodge (Congregational Churches of Port Elliot and Victor Harbor) gave short addresses. Special reference was made to the efforts of Mrs. John Trigg toward the erection of the tower.  Among those present was Mr Henry Welch who has memories of very early church days. During the centennial year a personal gift of £100 was made toward the erection of a tower, and it is hoped soon to instal a clock in the now completed building.
Victor Harbour Times (SA ), 12 November 1937.

 

Location

Address:32 The Strand, St Jude`s Anglican Church, Port Elliot, 5212
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.531091
Long: 138.681282
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 7th November, 1937
Front Inscription

Plaque :

            TO THE GLORY OF GOD
This Tower Was Completed In 1937 In Commemoration Of
The Pioneers, Founders, Past Priests, And Members
Of The Church, And Of The Following Rectors
             John Watson 1855 - 1865.
Edward Tucker Howell, M. A. (Oxon:) 1865 - 1890
Thomas Morrison Boyer, B. A. (Cantab.) 1891 - 1933
Founders - Boucher Welch,  Wm. Basham.    P. L. Hunter
B. F. Laurie,        T. W. Higgins,     J. Chibnell.
G. W. Hawkes,    A. H. Landseer,  T. Worsnop
And Was Dedicated By The Right Rev. Arthur Nutter Thomas D. D.  
Bishop of Adelaide.   7th November 1937

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design