www.monumentaustralia.org.au

100 Years of Worship at WiltungaPrint Page Print this page

07-March-2021
07-March-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates 100 years of worship at Wiltunga, at the Bible Christian Church from 1884 to 1900, the Methodist Church from 1900 to 1977, and the Uniting Church from 1977 to 1984.

Wiltunga. At a meeting of the Church Trust held in March, it was decided that we should plant a tree as an appreciation for valuable services rendered by the wives and members of the original Trust, which was formed in 1884; also a tree should be planted for Mr. and Mrs. T. Hancock. The late Mr. T. Hancock was the first organist of the Church, and choir master for many years; and for Mr. Mark Stevens, who has been church steward for 50 years. The names of the original Trustees are: J. Trengove, B. G. Axford, J. Pollard, W. Sluggett, W. Cosh, W. Murton, J. Dinham, W. Westlake and Jesse Stevens. The date was fixed for 23rd June, 2.30 p.m., and punctually the circuit minister led the congregation in hymn and prayers, and in a few well chosen words explained the object of the gathering and asked the following to plant the respective trees: Mr. and Mrs. J. Trengove, Mrs. B. G. Axford (who was the wife of the late Mr. B. G. Axford),Mr. E. J. Axford, Mr. and Mrs. S. Sluggett, Mrs. L. Pollard, Mrs. T. W. Hancock, Mr. and Mrs. R. J. Hall, Mr. Mark Stevens, Mr. Jesse Stevens (who was an original Trustee), Mr. H. Westlake; Mr. H. Philbey, Mr. and Mrs. Ross Watson, Mrs. T. Hancock, Mrs.T. Haldane, and Mr. T. H. Trengove. Former church workers from Payneham, Maylands, Tanunda and Condowie were present to cheer us with their remembrances of former days. Following the tree planting the ladies provided an afternoon tea, the proceeds amounting to £3/15/-.
Australian Christian Commonwealth (SA), 1 July 1938.

The Wiltunga Methodist church diamond jubilee services were held on Sunday, October 1, in the afternoon and evening. Rev. J. C. Oliver, Kadina, the chairman of the district, was the preacher and gave two inspiring sermons and special singing was rendered at both services. The church was again crowded out for the Monday night meeting when Rev. H. White, of Bute, was chairman. Speeches on the past were given by Mr Jesse Stevens (an original trustee of the church), Messrs Sam and Fred Trengove,and W. Philley. Rev. J. C. Oliver also spoke and Mr Allan Trengove presented his secretary's and treasurer's report. Sacred, elocutionary and musical items were interspersed between the speeches. Mr T. H. Trengove proposed a vote of thanks to all who helped with the very successful anniversary. A supper brought to an end an important milestone in the history of the Wiltunga church.
Kadina and Wallaroo Times (SA), 13 October 1944.

 

 

Location

Address:Wiltunga Road & Upper Yorke Road, Wiltunga, 5560
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.817747
Long: 137.984241
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1884
Approx. Event End Date:1984

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 12th August, 1984
Front Inscription

To commemorate 100 Years of worship at Wiltunga (Fairfield)

1884 - 1900 Bible Christian Church
1900 - 1977 Methodist Church
1977 - 1984 Uniting Church

Unveiled 12th August 1984.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design