Faithful Departed of the ChurchPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The foundation stone was laid in honour of St Oswald and commemorates members of the Church who have died.

The foundation stone of the new Church of St. Oswald, Parkside, was laid on Saturday afternoon by the Bishop of Adelaide, Right Rev. Dr. Harmer. There was a large concourse present at the ceremony, and the clergy were represented by several prominent ministers. After the usual liturgical service, the priest-in-charge, Rev. H. Hussey, M.A., handed Dr. Harmer a silver trowel with which to perform the duty of the afternoon. Bishop Harmer having pronounced the stone well and truly laid, uttered the dedicatory sentence:— "In the faith of Jesus Christ we place this foundation stone in the name of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost." 

The inscription upon the face of the foundation stone read as follows: — "To the Glory of God, in honour of St. Oswald, king and martyr, and in memory of the faithful departed, this stone was laid by the Lord Bishop of Adelaide. Saturday, June 14, 1902." Underneath was deposited a bottle containing a copy of The Register of June 14, and the usual documents.— The Rev. H. Hussey presented the financial statement, which showed that there was a credit of over £1,000 in hand towards the building, which, when completed, would cost £2,000. At present only the erection of the nave and foundation of chancel was contemplated, at an expenditure of £1,600. — Dr. Harmer reviewed the history of the mission church, and said that the first services had been held in a house in John street, Eastwood.

The debt on the existing mission church, which it was intended would be used for a schoolroom, had been cleared during the ministry of the present pastor in 1896. From that time efforts had been made to effect the building of a more beautiful church. They hoped that by the time that Mr. Hussey became dissociated from the parish, which would be early next year, the erection would be completed.— Donations were made to the building fund to the extent of £65. The amount required to complete the present contract is £354.
Register (Adelaide), 16 June 1902.



Address:Young & Castle Streets, St Oswald`s Anglican Church, Parkside, 5063
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.943987
Long: 138.618752
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 14th June, 1902
Front Inscription

To the greater glory of God

In honour of S. Oswald. King and Martyr, and in memory of the faithful departed,

This stone was laid by John Reginald, Lord Bishop of Adelaide.

Saturday June, 14. 1902.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au