www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Sisters of MercyPrint Page Print this page

05-March-2021
05-March-2021
Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the Sisters of Mercy who established St Scholatica`s.

In 1902, Bishop Dunne, the Bishop of Wilcannia - Forbes, gave permission for the Sisters of Mercy to establish a convent and day school in Mount Barker. The Sisters, who came from Broken Hill and inland New South Wales, established the Sisters of Mercy Convent of Mount Barker; the Young Ladies High School, the convent boarding school for Girls, and the primary school, all under the name St Scholastica.

 

Location

Address:8 Dutton Road, St Francis de Sales College, Mount Barker, 5251
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.066659
Long: 138.867415
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Front Inscription

In memory of the great work and spirit passed on through the Sisters of Mercy who lived and worked here.

Their spirit paved a way for loyalty, integrity, courage and compassion.

"We should be as a compass that goes round its circle without stirring from its centre. 
Our centre is God from whom all our actions should spring as from their source."

Sr. Catherine McAuley
Founder of the Mercy Sisters

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design