Centenary of Flinders Street Baptist ChurchPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The memorial stones commemorate the centenary of the Flinders Street Baptist Church from August 1861 to August 1961.

In response to a call by George Fife Angas for a Baptist minister to found a new church in Adelaide, Rev. Silas Mead  emigrated aboard Parisian, arriving in July 1861.He began taking regular services at White`s rooms and soon his enthusiastic congregation decided to build a large church on Acre 273 in Flinders Street on the west corner of Divett Place.

Robert G. Thomas, the architect who would later be responsible for the Stow Memorial Church (now Pilgrim Uniting Church), was selected to design the building, which is of Gothic revival style in bluestone and sandstone with elaborate capitals on the columns, a rose window and front entrance with three arches supported by pillars. 

The building, which cost £7,000 and took English & Brown two years to build, was opened on 19 May 1863. 



Address:65 Flinders Street, Flinders Street Baptist Church, Adelaide, 5000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.927143
Long: 138.603336
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Actual Event Start Date:05-August-1861
Actual Event End Date:05-August-1961


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 5th August, 1961
Front Inscription

To the glory of God

And in humble thanksgiving this stone was unveiled by Miss E. Linnett, of 71 years unbroken membership in this Church on the occasion of the Centenary

5th August 1961

Leslie J. Gomm.  Pastor  T. H. Elder.  Secretary

Left Side Inscription

On August 5th 1861 this Church began and this sanctuary was opened on April 24th 1863

To the glory of God

This stone was unveiled by Mr. O. Stow Smith past President Baptist Union of Australia.

5th August 1961

1st Pastor. Rev. Silas Mead, M. A., Ll. B.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au