St Joseph`s Memorial SchoolPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The school commemorates the Jesuit Fathers who came from Austria to South Australia in 1848 and built St Ignatius Church in 1870.

At the request of Bishop Shiel, who was Bishop of Adelaide at the time, they took charge of the Norwood Mission, covering much of today’s eastern suburbs in 1869. Each classroom in the new school, except the kindergarten, would have a portrait of one of these founding Jesuits. The school would also commemorate the 400th year of the Society of Jesus and the Sisters of St Joseph who have been associated with the parish. 

The parish of St. Ignatius, Norwood, wished to do something to signalise the completion of the 400 years by the Society of Jesus, members of which have administered St. Ignatius' parish from the beginning, in 1869. Ultimately they decided on building a new school for girls on parochial land near the church. The present school building is quite a distance from the church, and the surroundings are not now suitable for the continuing of the school there.  The new school is to be called a memorial. One in memory of the old Jesuit Fathers who built St. Ignatius' Church in 1870, and won the affection of their people by their zeal and holiness. From the beginning the Sisters of St. Joseph have been associated with the history of the parish; and have taught in it.  Hence it will he called St. Joseph's School. The kindergarten and infants' section is the main feature, as the need of such an up-to-date infants school in the industrial parish of Norwood has been admitted for some time, and the local branch of the Catholic Women's League has been collecting for its equipment. 
Southern Cross (Adelaide), 4 July 1941.



Address:Portrush Road & William Street, Norwood, 5067
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.923914
Long: 138.640571
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Culture
Designer:Cyril Kelly (Geelong, VIC)
Monument Manufacturer:Emmet & Sons


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 4th July, 1941
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au