www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Greek Women`s SocietyPrint Page Print this page

05-February-2021
05-February-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren
The plaque commemorates the 80 year association between the first Greek Orthodox Church built in 1937 on this site and the Greek Women`s Society of SA "o Taxiarchis" Inc.

Location

Address:286 Franklin Street, Greek Orthodox Cathedral of Archangels Michael & Gabriel, Adelaide, 5000
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.927408
Long: 138.589297
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1937
Approx. Event End Date:2017

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:November-2017
Front Inscription

This plaque acknowledges the 80 year association between the first Greek Orthodox Church built in 1937 on this very site and the Greek Women`s Society of SA "o Taxiarchis" Inc.

We further acknowledge the dedication and the generosity the Society has bestowed upon our Cathedral over the years, the Greek Orthodox Community of SA is forever grateful.

Bill Gonis OAM JP  President

Greek Orthodox Community of SA Inc
November 2017

Inscription in Proximity

Greek Women`s Society of SA "Taxiarchis" Inc.
Established in 1937

The Greek Orthodox Community of SA (GOCSA) honours the Greek Women`s Society of SA "Taxiarchis" Inc.

The society was established in 1937, the same year that the original Cathedral of Archangels Michael and Gabriel "Taxiarchis" was built on this very site ; the Cathedral was the first Greek Orthodox Chruch in Adelaide.

The Society was given the same name in honour of its unwavering dedication, generosity and support towards the Cathedral, GOCSA and the Greek community in general since its establishment and till this day.

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design