www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Pioneers of the Original Wesleyan ChurchPrint Page Print this page

11-January-2021
11-January-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the pioneers of the District who erected the original Wesleyan Church in 1875.

The Rev. Mr. Rowe preached twice on Sunday, and met the principal inhabitants this evening at a public meeting, where resolutions were unanimously carried for the immediate erection of a Wesleyan Chapel This will supply a long-felt want.” Register (SA), 17 Jun 1875.

The local residents have erected the shell of a Wesleyan Methodist Church edifice at Kalkabury, and are now about to make a further effort for its completion.”
Yorke’s Peninsula Advertiser (SA) 3 Mar 1876.


Note: Kalbury was gazetted as Arthurton in 1877. 

 

 

 

Location

Address:Upper Yorke Road, near junction of Arthurton Road, Arthurton, 5572
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.247926
Long: 137.757411
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1875

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 9th November, 1997
Front Inscription

This plaque commemorates the pioneers of this District who erected a Wesleyan Church near by in 1875.

Unveiled 9th Nov. 1997

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design