www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Pioneer ChristiansPrint Page Print this page

11-January-2021
11-January-2021

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The monument commemorates the Christian pioneers who established the Sheringa Methodist Church in 1909.

Dec 23. Methodist Church Sheringa.
In connection with the above church large concoure of people assembled from all parts of the district, a a large number journeyed down from Elliston, for the purpose of taking part in the ceremony of laying the foundation stone. The ceremony was commenced by singing. " All Hail the power of Jesus' name," after which prayer was offered up by the minister of the district, the Rev. J. C. Richmond, who afterwards addressed the people in a few well chosen words expressing thanks for their hearty co-operation, and for the substantial help given.

Miss A. E Gunn was then asked to lay the foundation stone, and after declaring same well and truly laid, the Rev J. C. Richmond on behalf of the Trustees presented her with a suitable silver trowel as a memento of the occasion. One verse was then sung of " The church's one foundation, is Jesus Christ the Lord." The sum of £7 8s. was placed on the stone. 
West Coast Recorder (Port Lincoln, SA), 5 January 1910.

Location

Address:Flinders Highway & Sheringa Beach Road, Sheringa, 5607
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.844361
Long: 135.231843
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Actual Event Start Date:23-December-1909
Actual Event End Date:23-December-1909

Dedication

Front Inscription

This cairn is a monument to the dedication of those pioneer Christians who established the Sheringa Methodist Church

1909

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design