Catholic Church Memorial Shrine Print Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The Shrine commemorates Hamley Bridge`s first Catholic Church which was built in 1897.

The church was added to in 1911 and the foundation stones from 1897 and 1911 are incorporated into the memorial. It later served as a Catholic School after a new church had been built in 1923. 


Address:Gilbert & Light Streets, Hamley Bridge, 5558
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.356796
Long: 138.681275
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Culture


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 9th November, 1986
Front Inscription

Plaque :

This Shrine is a memorial to Hamley Bridge`s first Catholic Church built in 1897 and added to in 1911.

Later, it served as a Catholic School, after a new church had been built in 1923. 

The stone of the Shrine is from the old church, with a few rocks from an earlier church in a nearby area, St Benedict`s,
Pinkerton Plains, which had been built in 1866.

Plaque :

This is the Cross which surmounted the Church during its 80 odd years.

The larger foundation stone is from the original church building, and the smaller one from the additions made 14 years later.

The Latin inscriptions on the foundation stones translate as follows:

"The Administrator, Fred Byrne, D.D., V.G. laid this stone on October 17th, A.D. 1897." 


" A.M.D.G. the Reverend Administrator T. F. O`Neil. blessed and laid this stone on December 10th 1911."

Foundation Stone :

Hunc Lapidem
Benedixit Et Posuit
Adm- Rev.T.F.O`Neill
Die 10 Dec 1911. 

Foundation Stone :
H.L. Posuit
Adm. Fred Byrne, D.D.V.C.
Die. XVII. Oct.
A.D. 1897

Plaque :

This monument was dedicated on 9th November 1986. 

By, V. Rev. Robert Aitken V.G., in the presence of Christians of many denominations.

It is a lasting testament to the spirit of fellowship that has characterised the Christian communities of this area.

Plaque :

The Catholic community of Hamley Bridge give thanks to God for the presence of The Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart teaching on this site in our Catholic school
1872 - 1961

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au