www.monumentaustralia.org.au

St Benedicts ChurchPrint Page Print this page

19-December-2020
19-December-2020

Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The cairn commemorates the site of Saint Benedicts Church, at Pinkerton Plains which served the Catholic communities of Stockport, Hamley Bridge, Mallala and Dublin from 1866 to 1919.

On Sunday, 24th instant, the foundation-stone of St Benedict's Church, near the junction of the Light and Gilbert, was laid by the Very Rev. John Smyth, assisted by the Rev. Frederick Byrne. Four acres of land, on which the new church will be built, were presented and conveyed by Mr. Gerald Fitzgerald, of Salisbury.

Although the morning and the previous evening were rather boisterous, there could not have been fewer than 300 persons present. The church, which will be in the Gothic style, will be 50 feet by 25 in the clear, and 18 feet high from the floor-line. There will be a handsome porch in front, and the vestry will be so situated as to be easily converted into a sanctuary whenever the present building may become too small for the congregation.
Register (Adelaide) 30 Sep 1865.


 

Location

Address:Carrig & Ronan Roads, Hamley Bridge Cemetery, Hamley Bridge, 5558
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.380661
Long: 138.661789
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1866
Approx. Event End Date:1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 22nd April, 1990
Front Inscription

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

This cairn commemorates the site of Saint Benedicts Church Pinkerton Plains which served the Catholic communities of Stockport  Hamley Bridge  Mallala and Dublin from 1866 to 1919

This plaque was unveiled on 22nd of April 1990 by His Grace Leonard Faulkner Archbishop of Adelaide

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design