www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred HeartPrint Page Print this page

02-November-2020
02-November-2020
Photographs supplied by Stephen Warren

The plaque commemorates the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Sacred Heart which was founded at Penola, South Australia in 1866, by an English missionary priest, Julian Tenison Woods and an Australian teacher, Mary MacKillop who yearned to devote her life to God in the service of the poor.

Both were acutely aware of children in remote areas growing up without Catholic education or religious training.

Location

Address:31 West Terrace, Adelaide, 5000
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.924493
Long: 138.587706
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:November-2010
Front Inscription

31 West Terrace, Adelaide.

A substantial two storey home was built on this land in 1850 and used as a private residence.

Mother Mary of the Cross MacKillop, Mother-General and co-founder of the Congregation of the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart South Australia Inc. together with the Catholic Church Endowment Society, purchased the property on 11 April, 1905.

It then became know as the House of Providence.  The Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart South Australia Inc. operated it and offered support and sanctuary to the less fortunate in the community regardless of their circumstances or background.

The House of Providence served as a temporaty home to countless South Australians in need of assistance.  The Sisters of St Joseph maintained their charitable care of the underprivileged at this site until 1951, when they relocated to larger premises at Cowandilla and the house at 31 West Terrace was sold.

His Holiness Pope Benedict 16th canonised Blesses Mary of the Cross MacKillop on Sunday, 17 October, 2010 and she is now known as Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillop, being the first Australian to be canonised.

This plaque is dedicated to the memory of the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart for their work on social welfare in Australia and New Zealand and particularly in the City of Adelaide.  It was authorised by the Sisters of St Joseph, South Australia, November 2010

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design