www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Sesquicentenary of St Charles Borromeo ParishPrint Page Print this page

31-August-2020
31-August-2020

Photographs supplied by Heather Stevens

The relic of St Charles Borromeo commemorates the sesquicentenary of St Charles Borromeo Parish from 1851 to 2001.

Location

Address:2A Charles Street, St Charles Borromeo Catholic Church, Ryde, 2112
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.819142
Long: 151.113858
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Religious Object
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1851
Approx. Event End Date:2001

Dedication

Front Inscription

Plaque : 

Relic of St Charles Borromeo (1538 - 1584)

The Latin inscription on this relic indicates that it contains fragments from the internal organs and clothing of St Charles Borromeo.  

It was given to the Marist Fathers in 1852 in gratitude for their hospitality by missionaries travelling to New Guinea from Milan, the diocese where St Charles Borromeo served as Cardinal - Archbishop from 1560 until his death in 1584.  

In 2002, the Marist Fathers donated the relic to St Charles Borromeo Parish, Ryde, in recognition of its Sesquicentenary (1851 - 2001), and the Marist priests who were its first pastors.

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design