www.monumentaustralia.org.au

150 Years of St Patrick`s Church Hill ParishPrint Page Print this page

02-November-2019
02-November-2019

Photographs supplied by Heather Stevens
The plaque commemorates 150 years of St Patrick`s Church Hill Parish under the pastoral care of the Marist Fathers since 1868. 

In 1861 Archdeacon John McEncroe was appointed parish priest. McEncroe, an Irishman, was one of the great pioneer priests in Australia, to which he came in 1832 after some years in Carolina in the United States. He was the major force in helping establish an Australian Catholic newspaper – initially under various names in the early 1840s, and then as the famous Freeman’s Journal which appeared weekly for almost a century from 1849.

McEncroe died in 1868. It was his wish that the Marist Fathers, a French missionary order established in Sydney since 1845, should succeed him in the parish. At McEncroe’s funeral, the archdiocesan vicar general, Austin Sheehy, took Marist superior Victor Poupinel aside and offered the care of the parish to the Marists. Poupinel readily accepted, subject to permission from Marist administrators in France; this was soon given, and the Marist Fathers have been responsible for St Patrick’s from that time.

Location

Address:Grosvenor & Gloucester Streets, St Patrick`s Church, The Rocks, 2000
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.863194
Long: 151.205927
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1868
Approx. Event End Date:2018

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 16th September, 2018
Front Inscription

Commemorating 150 years of 
St Patrick`s Church Hill Parish

under the pastoral care of the Marist Fathers 
(Society of Mary) since 1868.

+Anthony, Archbishop of Sydney
16 September, 2018

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design