Re-erection of St Andrew`s Church TowerPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Heather Stevens

The plaque commemorates the re-erection of St Andrew`s Church Tower.

St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church was originally located in Parramatta, but by the 1920s it was too small to accommodate Parramatta’s growing congregation.  In 1925, after the new church was built, demolition work began on the old church.

It was believed that the old church would be completed demolished, until Presbyterians in Wentworthville, in need of a Church, put forward the idea of reassembling the old Parramatta church in Wentworthville. Demolition began in 1925 and on Saturday 24 November 1928 the reassembled church was opened and dedicated.

The dedication of the tower of the historic St. Andrew's Church, which was demolished at Parramatta last year, and is being re-erected at Wentworthville by local Presbyterians, took place on Saturday, when a bronze tablet which had been placed on the tower was also unveiled. Both ceremonies were performed by the Rev. F. Barclay, the Rev. John Paterson presiding. Members of the Royal Australian Historical Society and the Parramatta Historical Society were present. Mr. J. A. Ferguson, on their behalf, congratulated those responsible for the idea of re-erectlng at Wentworthville St. Andrew's, which had stood in Parramatta for more than three-quarters of a century.
Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 2 July 1928.



Address:7 McKern Street, Wentworthville Presbyterian Church, Wentworthville, 2145
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.809558
Long: 150.970583
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 30th June, 1928
Front Inscription

This tablet was set by Rev. F. Barclay

To commemorate the re-erection of this tower

Parramatta 1850

Re-erected June 1928

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au