Centenary of St Andrew`s ChurchPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

The Weeping Elm was planted to commemorate the centenary of St Andrew`s Church in 1996. The foundation stone for the church was laid in 1895 and the church was opened in 1896. 

The building of the Presbyterian Church, Corryong, which has been going on since June last, has now been completed. The opening services are to be held on Sunday, 26th January, when the preachers will be the Rev. W. H. Cooper, M.A., Beechworth, in the morning and evening and Rev. J. G. Millar, the minister of the church. In the afternoon in connection with the opening, a tea -meeting will be held on Tuesday, 28th, to be followed by a public meeting in the evening in the church. 
Albury Banner and Wodonga Express (NSW), 17 January 1896.


Address:Wheeler & Donaldson Streets, St Andrew`s Uniting Church, Corryong, 3707
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.196016
Long: 147.907769
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Tree
Monument Theme:Culture
Actual Event Start Date:26-January-1896
Actual Event End Date:26-January-1996


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 28th January, 1996
Front Inscription
To Commemorate the Centenary of
St Andrew`s Church, Corryong

This tree, a Weeping Elm, chosen by
Marcus Lancaster, was planted by Alice Hill,
Beryl Harris, Ruby Short and Gertie Findlay
       28th January 1996 
Rev. Myrle Lancaster    Rev. Dr. Warren Bartlett
Minister                         Moderator, Synod of Victoria
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au