www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Mary MacKillop GrovePrint Page Print this page

04-June-2019
04-June-2019

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

Mary MacKillop Grove commemorates 50 years of service by the Sisters of St Joseph 1950 -2000. 

St. Finbarr’s Parish School was established in 1950 by the Sisters of St Joseph. It was known as St Joseph’s Convent for some years, changing to St Finbarr’s Parish School in the early 1970’s. The Sisters of St. Joseph’s have administered the School since it began and have also conducted a coeducational boarding facility since 1951. The boarding school catered for children whose parents live on properties or live and work away from town. The boarding school facility closed in 2008 due to lack of numbers.

Mary Helen MacKillop (15 January 1842 – 8 August 1909) was an Australian Roman Catholic nun who, together with Father Julian Tenison Woods, founded the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart. Since her death she has attracted much veneration in Australia and internationally.

MacKillop is the only Australian to have been beatified (in 1995 by Pope John Paul II). On 17 July 2008, Pope Benedict XVI prayed at her tomb during his visit to Sydney for World Youth Day 2008. On 19 December 2009, Pope Benedict XVI approved the Church's recognition of a second miracle attributed to her intercession.  It was announced on 19 February 2010 that her canonisation is due to be formally declared on 17 October 2010, making her the first Australian saint. After her canonisation she was known as Saint Mary of the Cross.
 

Location

Address:Jabiru Street, St Finbarrs School, Quilpie, 4480
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -26.616863
Long: 144.270233
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Garden
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1950
Approx. Event End Date:2000

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2000
Front Inscription
MARY MACKILLOP GROVE
This Grove Commemorates 50 Years 
Of Inspiring Service By 
The Sisters Of St. Joeseph
1950 -2000

Our Boarding School Parish And
Community Have Been Richly Blessed By 
The Sisters` Presence. 



 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design