www.monumentaustralia.org.au

150th Anniversary of the First Worship ServicePrint Page Print this page

21-April-2019
21-April-2019
Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
The plaque was erected to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the first worship service on the site in 1865. 

Location

Address:Johnston and Tarcutta Streets, Wesley Uniting Church, Wagga Wagga , 2650
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.106831
Long: 147.371586
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Actual Event Start Date:30-April-1865
Actual Event End Date:30-April-2015

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2015
Front Inscription
UNITING CHURCH IN AUSTRALIA
WAGGA WAGGA CONGREGATION
OCCUPATION OF THIS SITE

On April 30, 1865, The Original Wesley Methodist Church (Chapel) In Wagga Wagga Was Opened On This Site -  Donated By Mrs Elizabeth Vincent - Just One Year After The First Wesleyan Methodist Worship Service Was Held In The Wagga Wagga Court House On April 10, 1864. This Building Was Used For Thirteen Years. 

It Was Replaced By A Much Larger Wesleyan Methodist Church Building On The Adjoining Corner Block Of Johnston & Fitzmaurice Streets Which Was Opened On March 18, 1877. 

In Turn, The 1877 Building Was Replaced By The Present Wesley Building, Which Stands On The Corner Of Johnston & Tarcutta Streets, And Was Opened On October 22, 1949. 

The Term 'Wesleyan Methodist' Was Used Until 1902, When The Union Of Various Branches Of Methodism Was Achieved In Australia. In June 1977 The Methodist, Congregational And A Substantial Proportion Of The Presbyterian Churches In Australia Combined To Form The Uniting Church In Australia - The Denomination Which Now Uses This Site. 


This plaque was erected to mark the one hundred & fiftieth anniversary of the first worship service held on this site. 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design