150th Anniversary of Chalmers ChurchPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams / Paul Scott

The plaque commemorates the 150th anniversary of the opening of the Chalmers Church of the Free Church of Scotland in July 1851.

In 1839, a Presbyterian community formed in Adelaide in a church on Gouger Street in the West End. This community moved to Flinders Street in 1865. In 1841, the Church of Scotland, another religious congregation, formed under Reverend Robert Haining in Grenfell Street. In 1859 they moved to Wakefield Street, the eastern half of Adelaide’s horizontal axis.

Upon the Disruption of 1843, in which 450 ministers of the state-sponsored Church of Scotland broke away, the Free Church of Scotland was formed. Scots altered Adelaide’s religious landscape again in 1850 as families invited Reverend John Gardner of the Free Church to the city to start a new parish. Chalmers Church was built in 1851, on this intersection of Pulteney and North Terrace, in honour of Reverend Thomas Chalmers, who led the Disruption in Edinburgh, Scotland.



Address:237 North Terrace, Scots Church of Adelaide, Adelaide, 5000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.921481
Long: 138.605186
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Actual Event Start Date:06-July-1851
Approx. Event Start Date:1851
Actual Event End Date:06-July-2001
Approx. Event End Date:2001


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 1st July, 2001
Front Inscription

This plaque commemorates the 150th anniversary of the opening of Chalmers Church Free Church of Scotland on the 6th day of July 1851

In 1929 Chalmers Church united with Flinders Street Presbyterian Church forming Scots Church Adelaide

Unveiled by the Revd. Professor James Haire M.A., Ph.D., D.D., D.Univ. President of the Assembly of the Uniting Church in Australia

1st July 2001

Source: MA,PS
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au