150 Years of Holy Trinity ChurchPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth
The plaque commemorates 150 years of Anglican witness to the Christian religion in Bowen and District by Holy Trinity Church from 1863 to 2013.

Bowen (Port Denison) was first discovered by Europeans in 1859 by Captain Henry Daniel Sinclair who, on the impetus of the government of New South Wales, went in search of a port north of Rockhampton. The discovery was confirmed by George Elphinestine Dalrymple in 1861, who reached Port Dension by land and established the suitability of Port Denison as a port and a site for a township within the new district of Kennedy. It became the first settlement north of Rockhampton, named Bowen to honour the governor. Two years after this discovery, Holy Trinity Anglican Church was founded with a resident clergyman on Gordon Street in Bowen. According to local historians, the original timber church was constructed in 1865. The present brick Holy Trinity Church was constructed from between 1936-1937. It was designed by Harold Brown of Mackay and built by J.M. Lowcock.


Address:75 Herbert Street, Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Bowen, 4805
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -20.011391
Long: 148.245448
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Approx. Event Start Date:1863
Approx. Event End Date:2013


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 14th September, 2013
Front Inscription

Holy Trinity Anglican Church

1863 - 2013

This plaque was blessed and dedicated by Bishop William Ray Bishop of North Queensland on 14th September 2013

In thanksgiving for 150 years of Anglican witness to the Gospel in Bowen and surrounding communities.

Clergy :
Father Howard Smith (Rector)
Father Kevin Perrett
Deacon Keith Dodds

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au