www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Departure of Pioneer MissionariesPrint Page Print this page

29-July-2020 (Paul Scott)
29-July-2020 (Paul Scott)

Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole / Paul Scott

The plaque commemorates the departure of pioneer missionaries in October 1875 from Bethany who left to establish the Hermannsburg Mission in the Northern Territory.

On October 25 (sic), 1875, two young pastors, A.H. Kempe and W. F. Schwartz, who had been in Australia only a few weeks, set out to find a place which would be seen by civilised men. They left Bethany, 25 km north of Adelaide. with a caravan of eight men, 2200 sheep, 37 horses, 20 cattle, 80 goats and some fowls. They wandered in the wilderness like the children of Israel for more than 19 months, covering 1930 km, equal to the distance from Bonn to Istanbul. But they reached the site on June 8, 1877, began their mission and called it Hermannsburg. For a quarter of a century it was to be the only Christian establishment in an area half the size of Europe.
Extract from Papua New Guinea Post-Courier
(Port Moresby), 18 November 1977.

Location

Address:184 Bethany Road, Herberge Christi Lutheran Church, Bethany, 5352
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.538337
Long: 138.969901
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Actual Event Start Date:22-October-1875
Actual Event End Date:22-October-1875

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 19th October, 1975
Front Inscription

In commemoration of the departure of the pioneer missionaries from Bethany

22nd October 1875

To establish the Hermannsburg Mission among the Aborigines in Central Australia

Unveiled 19th October 1975

Source: MA,PS
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design