www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Consecration of Christ Church CathedralPrint Page Print this page

03-September-2021 (Paul Scott)
03-September-2021 (Paul Scott)
Photographs supplied by John Huth / Paul Scott

The stone was set to mark the consecration of Christ Church Cathedral in 1959.

The foundation stone for the second-stage extension of the cathedral, comprising the last four bays of the nave and the west porch, was laid on 27 June 1934. The architect for the extension was Power Adam and Munnings from Sydney. J. F Munnings was the supervising architect and F. C. Hargrave from Grafton was the acting-supervising architect. Builders Messrs S. D. C. Kennedy and Bird Pty Ltd from Sydney completed the extension in 1937. The extensions contained approximately 300,000 hand made bricks from 100 different moulds, laid in old English style. The clay was sourced from the same pit and the moulds were the same as those used in stage one building works. The second stage extension was dedicated on 30 October 1937, to John Horbury Hunt's design. 

The second-stage extension was consecrated on 14 September 1959. The extension included additions to the original plan of a choir vestry, north and south entrance floors, chancel extensions, stone flagging on the front steps and rubber tiling in the aisles.

Location

Address:Duke & Victoria Streets, Christ Church Cathedral, Grafton, 2460
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -29.693083
Long: 152.934256
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 14th September, 1959
Front Inscription

Laus Deo

This stone was set by the Right Reverend Kenneth John Clements Fifth Lord Bishop of Grafton

To mark the consecration of this Cathedral Church of Christ on this the fourteenth day of September in the year of our Lord One Thousand Nine Hundred & Fifty Nine in the presence of 

The Most Reverend the Lord Archbishop of Sydney
The Right Reverend Lord Bishop of Newcastle
The Right Reverend Lord Bishop of Armidale

And the clergy and representative laity of the Diocese

A. Edward Warr
Dean

Source: MA,PS
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design