113 Years of the Sisters of Mercy in DalbyPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The plaque commemorates 113 years of the Sisters of Mercy in Dalby from 1877 to 1990.

The Sisters of Mercy, having initially travelled to Queensland with Bishop Quinn in 1860, were integral to the expansion of Catholic schools across the state.

A new commodious version of the Plough Inn Hotel, built in 1863, was sold as part of the estate of pastoralist CC Macdonald. A half share of the property - lots 14, 15 and 16 (originally lots 2, 3, and 4) of section 16 - was transferred to Bishop Quinn in 1876. A small group of Sisters of Mercy arrived in Dalby on 8 August the following year, from the Toowoomba convent established in 1873; and this new Plough Inn became the order's eleventh school in Queensland known as St Columba's.

The former St Columba's Convent was built in 1913 for the Sisters of Mercy from a design by local architect George Bernard Roskell, to provide accommodation for the nuns and the boarding students in their care. At that time, the town of Dalby and its surrounding rural districts were experiencing economic growth. The Sisters of Mercy occupied the convent until 1990, after which it was purchased by the Dalby parish and used as a student hostel, before being leased as a youth and community centre.



Address:169 Cunningham Street (Cnr Edward Street), St Columba`s Convent, Dalby, 4405
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.186243
Long: 151.260713
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Actual Event Start Date:
Approx. Event Start Date:1877
Actual Event End Date:
Approx. Event End Date:1990


Front Inscription

Commemorating 113 years of the Sisters of Mercy in Dalby

1877 - 1990.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au