Jubilee of St Paul`s ChurchPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The porch of the church commemorates the jubilee of St Paul`s Church from 1874 to 1924.

St Paul's Cleveland one of Queensland s oldest churches is about to celebrate its golden jubilee. On May 21 1874, the late Canon Jones came to Cleveland by coach with six other clergy and opened this church for divine service. The addition of a handsome porch has just been completed as a jubilee memorial. The celebrations open next Friday (May 16) and will be continued on Saturday with a jubilee fete in the School of Arts Hall Cleveland, to be opened at 2 o'clock each day. 

A generous programme has been provided for this part of the festival, to which children will be admitted free. The present parishioners also invite all " old parishioners" to unite in a "Back to Cleveland" movement and to join in their festivities and services of rejoicing. The opening jubilee services will be conducted on Sunday, May 18, by Bishop Le Fanu and continued every evening during the octave at 7 o'clock by the various visiting Brisbane clergy.  On Saturday, May 24 (Empire Day) a reception to his Grace the Archbisop will be held in the church grounds. On Sunday, May 25, his Grace will consecrate the jubilee porch and conduct the closing services of the festival. A brass memorial tablet has been placed in the new porch. 
Brisbane Courier (Qld), 10 May 1924.


Address:Cross & North Streets, St Paul`s Anglican Church, Cleveland, 4163
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.523717
Long: 153.284046
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Culture
Actual Event Start Date:21-May-1874
Actual Event End Date:21-May-1924


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 25th May, 1924
Front Inscription

Gloria in Excelsis

This porch consecrated 25th May 1924 by the Archbishop of Brisbane (Gerald Sharp D.D.) was erected as a memorial of the jubilee of St Paul`s Church, Cleveland.

Which was opened for divine service 21st May 1874 

Consecrated by Bishop Hale 25th January, 1875.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au