20th Anniversary of Good Shepherd Congregation Print Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by John Huth

The plaque on the new church building commemorates the 20th anniversary of Good Shepherd congregation.

The seed was sown for the birth of Good Shepherd back in the late 1950s when growth in the membership of Toowoomba’s Redeemer congregation led to thoughts of expanding into another preaching point. Following investigations and discussions, it was decided to establish a preaching point in the Harristown area.

Pastor Arthur H Koehler from Redeemer conducted the first service on November 16, 1958 in the then Western Transport Recreation Hall on Anzac Ave and O’Quinn St, Harristown. Attendance at this service was 103.

After the arrival of Pastor Kurt Marquart at Redeemer in 1961, a congregation was formed at Harristown with 140 baptised founding members. A constitution was drawn up and officially adopted. The official name adopted at a meeting on July 2, 1961 was the Good Shepherd Evangelical Lutheran Church, Harristown.

On May 4, 1980 the last service was held in the original hall and demolition work began soon after. Dedication of a new church building took place on October 12, 1980.



Address:Glenvale Road & Karrool Street, Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Harristown, 4350
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.565647
Long: 151.927497
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 12th October, 1980
Front Inscription

To the glory of God

And in commemoration of the 20th anniversary of Good Shepherd Congregation this building was dedicated 

October 12th 1980

"There shall be one flock, one shepherd"   John 10:10.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au