www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of St Anthony's Catholic ChurchPrint Page Print this page

22-January-2020 (John Huth)
22-January-2020 (John Huth)

Photographs supplied by Russell Byers / John Huth

The plaque commemorates the centenary of St Anthony's Catholic Church in 2011. 

In 1904 a block of land was purchased to build a church and construction was well advanced by November 1910. The builder was Walter Barrett of Muswellbrook. Work was carried out by skilled contractors as well as local volunteers. The main construction material was brick which was made at Gungal.

An article in the Merriwa & Cassilis Standard Nov 1910 described “the great sacrifice and .. wonderful courage (of the Gungal parishioners) in undertaking the work (building the church) which promised to be a credit to them and an ornament to the district.”

St Anthony’s was blessed and opened on May 9th, 1911 by the Bishop of Maitland Patrick Vincent Dwyer.

Father William Edmund O’Reilly was resident priest of the parish when St Anthony’s Catholic Church was built in 1911. He had been appointed to Merriwa Parish in 1886.

Location

Address:Golden Highway & Flaggs Road, St Anthony of Padua Catholic Church, Gungal, 2333
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.271112
Long: 150.497863
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Actual Event Start Date:
Approx. Event Start Date:1911
Approx. Event End Date:2011

Dedication

Front Inscription

Celebrating The Centenary
             Of 
St Anthony's Catholic Church  
          Gungal
       1911 - 2011

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design