Pioneers of the Methodist ChurchPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
A stained glass window commemorates the pioneers of the church. The erection of the window was bought about by the trustees of the church as a sacred mark of respect to the work of the pioneers. The church was opened and dedicated on the 21st September, 1930. 

A new Methodist Sunday school has been erected at Benalla at a cost exceeding £2000, a gift of Mr. John Cooper, of Benalla. It has been named after its donor. A new Methodist church has also been completed, the design being a combination of Gothic and Norman. The structure has been erected on the old church site at the corner of Carrier and Church streets. It is built of soft-toned brick and an imposing appearance is lent by its elegant tower. The interior of the church is a revelation of beauty. The seating, which is of Australian fiddleback oak, will accommodate a congregation ot 350, and the pulpit, the front of which has been beautifully carved is constructed of the same timber. The pulpit is dedicated to the noble services of the womanhood of the church, and a sacred sentiment is also attached to the three beautiful stained glass windows. The central window is a reproduction of Holman Hunt's immortal picture, The Light of the World.

The soldiers' memorial window, on which is inscribed, "To to the memory of those who served the Empire in the Great War," was erected by the scholars of the Sunday school, and the young people of the church. Immediately beneath the window is an honor roll, set in attractive mosaic, bearing the names of those members of the church who look part in the great war. The ornate pipe organ, set directly at the rear of the choir stalls, is a welcome addition to the church. The opening ceremony was conducted by Rev. W. C. Bridgeborn.
The North Eastern Ensign (Benalla, Vic.), 26 September 1930. 
The Age (Melbourne), 6 October 1930.



Address:Carrier & Church Streets, Benalla Uniting Church, Benalla, 3672
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.549471
Long: 145.984984
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:Culture


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 21st September, 1930
Front Inscription

I am the Light of the World

In honoured memory of the pioneers of our church

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au