www.monumentaustralia.org.au

100th Anniversary of Second St Peter`s ChurchPrint Page Print this page

16-March-2021 (Stephen Warren)
16-March-2021 (Stephen Warren)

Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole / Stephen Warren / Paul Scott

The plaque commemorates the 100th anniversary of the laying of the foundation stone for the second St Peter`s church to be built on this site.

The foundation - stone of the proposed new Church of St. Peter, Glenelg, was laid on Tuesday, January 18, by the Very Rev. the Dean of Adelaide. His Lordship the Bishop was too ill to be present, but sent the incumbent a donation to be placed on the stone. The building, which is to be in the Early English style, is intended to cost about £3,500 when completed, but only a portion of the work is provided for at present. The style of the new building will be Early English.

The portion at present to be built will consist of nave, 46 feet' x 35 feet; chancel, 24 feet x 21; vestry, 12 feet x 10; organ and choir gallery, 12 feet x 10; porch, 8 ft. 6 in. x 4 ft. 6 in. For the walls only this portion will cost £569, and when complete the nave will be 80 feet by 48 feet, and the porch 10 feet by 10 feet, with a tower above the latter standing at the north-eastern corner of the church.

The main portion of the work will be of stone and brick, with freestone and cement dressings, and when complete it is expected that the church will cost £3,500. The height of the walls will be 24 feet, and 56 feet to the apex of the roof. The architects for the work are Messrs. Wright & Reed.
Adelaide Observer (SA), 22 January 1881.

Location

Address:Torrens Square, St Peter`s Church, Glenelg, 5045
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.978479
Long: 138.514763
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Actual Event Start Date:18-January-1881
Actual Event End Date:18-January-1981

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 18th January, 1981
Front Inscription

This plaque dedicated on Sunday 18th January 1981, commemorates the 100th anniversary of the laying of the foundation stone of this, the second church on this site, on 18th January 1881.

Thanks be to God

 

 

 

Source: MA,PS
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design