150 Years of Lutheran WitnessPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole

The plaque on the arch of the Pioneer Memorial Gardens commemorates 150 years of the Lutheran religion in Hahndorf.

During the 1830’s and early 1840’s many Lutherans left the German provinces of Posen, Silesia and Brandenberg to escape religious persecution.  Many went to the United States of America; others migrated to Russia.  With the assistance of George Fife Angas, almost 500 of these Lutherans emigrated to South Australia in late 1838 and early 1839.  They were accompanied by their Pastor, A.L.C. Kavel.   

Their first settlement in Australia was at Klemzig, a few miles to the north-east of Adelaide on the banks of the Torrens.  The Captain of the “Zebra”, one of the emigrant ships, was Dirk Meinertz Hahn.  After some negotiation, he made an agreement with local landowners whereby many of his passengers could lease, and eventually purchase 150 acres of land at what is now Hahndorf.  This agreement was signed on January 25, 1839.  Approximately 240 of the emigrants were among the founders of the town which they names in honour of Captain Hahn. 


Address:Mount Barker Road, Pioneer Memorial Gardens, Hahndorf, 5245
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.027804
Long: 138.808738
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Approx. Event Start Date:1839
Approx. Event End Date:1989


Front Inscription

1839   1989

To commemorate 150 years of Lutheran witness in Hahndorf founded by German settlers seeking religious freedom.

"God is our refuge and strength."   Psalm 46 v 1.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au