Dedication of The Salvation Army CitadelPrint Page Print this page

Dedication Plaque :22-October-2014
Dedication Plaque :22-October-2014

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams
The plaque commemorates the dedication of the Salvation Army Citadel extension which was officially opened on the 2nd December 1961. 

In 1937 the Citadel had to be renovated to accommodate the increasing size of the congregation.  From March 1946 to July 1952, a building scheme was continually discussed (the delay being caused by building restrictions due to World War II), until, finally, approval was given for the Ladies' Retiring Room to be built, which was completed in December 1953. 

A new building scheme was launched on 27 April 1957, with the total estimate of costs being £23,000. When completed, the new Youth Centre and new 'modern' Citadel were officially opened by the Territorial Commander, Commissioner Frederick Coutts, on 2 December 1961. The complex was built for an approximate cost of £30,000. 


Address:Bond & Dora Streets, Salvation Army Citadel , Hurstville , 2220
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.963745
Long: 151.100511
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 2nd December, 1961
Front Inscription

This extended Citadel was dedicated by Commissioner Frederick Coutts on 2nd December 1961.

Wilfred Kitching 


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au