www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Sesquicentenary of Singleton ParishPrint Page Print this page

11-November-2014
11-November-2014
Photographs supplied by Russell Byers
The plaque commemorates the sesquicentenary of the Singleton Parish.

Prior to the establishment of the diocese, the Hunter Region was under the administration of the Sydney Archdiocese. The Church defines a diocese as 'a portion of the people of God, which is entrusted to a bishop' or, as 'a community of Christ's faithful in communion of faith and sacraments with their bishop.' The three most notable priests assigned to the Hunter Region, Therry, Dowling & Lynch strived to build churches, schools and establish Catholic parishes. Six Catholic parishes established were East Maitland 1835 (the first Catholic church built north of Sydney was the first St Joseph's Church in 1835), Newcastle 1838, West Maitland 1841, Singleton 1845, Taree 1846, Raymond Terrace 1852.

Location

Address:Queen Street, St Patrick`s Catholic Church, Singleton, 2330
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.559405
Long: 151.17872
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1845
Approx. Event End Date:1995

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:October-1995
Front Inscription

ERECTED TO COMMEMORATE
THE SESQUI-CENTENARY OF
THE SINGLETON PARISH 
OCTOBER 1995
Fr. Greg. Arnold P.P.

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design