www.monumentaustralia.org.au

120 Years of Christian WitnessPrint Page Print this page

120 Years Christian Witness Plaque : August -2014
120 Years Christian Witness Plaque : August -2014

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams

The plaque pays tribute to 120 years of Christian witness by the people of Bowral from 1863 to 1983.  An additional plaque pays tribute to the people of the church. 

Local history records that the arrival of the first resident members of the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist churches coincided with the establishment of the township of Bowral in 1863. The formal ministry and mission of the Wesleyan Methodist Church first was conducted from meeting places on the western side of Bendooley Street, opposite the present day Uniting Church Centre (former parsonage – 1884) on a site currently occupied by Oxley Mall.  The first church was built in 1864.  This building was replaced in 1881 by a new church.

Location

Address:Bendooley & Boolwey Streets, Bowral Uniting Church, Bowral , 2576
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.480345
Long: 150.420234
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion
Approx. Event Start Date:1863
Approx. Event End Date:1983

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 13th November, 1983
Left Side Inscription

This plaque was unveiled by Mrs Vera Robinson

As a tribute to 120 years of Christian witness to a life of faith and service to God by many people of Bowral which resulted in the existing buildings.

13 November 1983

Right Side Inscription

This plaque was unveiled by Mrs Peggy Wotton

As a tribute to the people of this church who will serve in the coming days with the same devotion to God as displayed by their forebears

13 November 1983

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design