Centenary of St Brigids ChurchPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

A plaque commemorates the centenary of St. Brigids Church.

The Initiation Of The Movement. For some considerable time it had been apparent to the Roman Catholic community at Crossley that the church in which most of the adult members of the congregation had been baptised, and, later on, married, was altogether inadequate to the requirements of the large and influential district it served, so the farmers and other residents set to work with commendable zeal and energy to bring about a change in the old order of things, and with that aim always in view, and stimulated by their worthy pastor, Reverend Father Kerin, they held meetings and made a systematic canvass of the neighborhood in order to ascertain the wishes of the people regarding the erection of a new church.

The response from every quarter was unanimously and enthusiastically given in favor of the new building. Tenders were called for its erection and liberal support was given and promised. On Sunday evening, October 12, 1913, at a large and influential meeting, presided over by His Lordship Dr Higgins, Bishop of Ballarat, at which the architect, Mr A. A. Fritsch, was also present, the tenders were opened, and that of Messrs F. and E. Deague, contractors, Melbourne, for £5439, was accepted, and the work of the foundations was commenced on October 24.
Port Fairy Gazette (Vic), 29 June 1914.


Address:Penshurst - Port Fairy Road, St Brigids Church, Crossley, 3283
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.31972
Long: 142.325402
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Actual Event Start Date:28-June-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-2014


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2014
Front Inscription

Plaque :

This stone was laid to commemorate the centenary of Saint Brigids Church on the 28th of June 2014.

Plaque :

This stone was laid by the Most Revd Joseph Higgins, D.D. Bishop of Ballarat on Sunday the 28th of June. A.D. 1914

F & E Deague  Contractors
A. A. Fritsch  F.R.V.I.A. Melb.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au