www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Mortdale Memorial StonesPrint Page Print this page

Memorial Stone 1 : April-2014
Memorial Stone 1 : April-2014

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams
The memorial stones commemorate the foundation of the Mortdale Methodist Church.

As Mr. Edwin Knight was identified with the Methodist Church, as now organised at Mortdale, from its beginning, a few historical facts will be of interest in connection with his departure. The Sunday school of which Mr. Knight has been continuously superintendent was started in St. George's Hall in May, 1909, Mr Knight being assisted by the late Mrs Knight (organist and teacher), and by the late Mr. Thomas Corbett and Mrs. Corbett, and other early and zealous helpers. There were 27 scholars and five teachers. Now there are 180 scholars and 24 officers and teachers. Mr. Knight had the happy tact of maintaining perfect order, and being loved by the children, with whom his influence was wonderful for good. When the foundation of the neat church was laid, Mr. Knight placed one of the memorial stones, and, as treasurer of the trust, came to its aid with a loan of £383, charging only 3 per cent. The financial position is now easy. The first Sunday services were held in the St. George's Hall in January, 1909, and in all efforts to benefit the cause, Mr. Knight, heartily aided by the first Mrs. Knight, and later by his present "partner in life, " has been a leader who gave of his best thought and labour to promote the general welfare. Mr. Knight has been honoured with the highest offices of the circuit, as well as of the Mortdale congregation. Mr. and Mrs. Knight may well rejoice that they leave the scene of their devoted service in a flourishing condition.
Methodist (Sydney, NSW), 26 March 1921.

Location

Address:Morts Road, Mortdale Uniting Church, Mortdale, 2223
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.970609
Long: 151.080331
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 29th October, 1910
Left Side Inscription
THIS
MEMORIAL STONE
WAS LAID BY
E.KNIGHT Esq.
29th OCTOBER 1910
Right Side Inscription

THIS
MEMORIAL STONE
WAS LAID BY
T.CATER Esq.
29th OCTOBER 1910

Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design