150th Anniversary of Brighton Uniting ChurchPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole

The timber cross made from a portion of the former Brighton Jetty commemorates the 150th anniversary of the church.

The Uniting Church was formerly the Methodist Church and worship began in Brighton in 1847. 

WESLEYAN METHODISTS. Sir — We do ourselves the honour of stating, for the information of his Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor, that the sum of £112 6s. (one hundred and twelve pounds six shillings) received by us from the Honourable the Colonial Treasurer, being the amount voted to the Wesleyan Church for religion and education for the half-year ending the 31st March, 1847, has been appropriated as shown in the accompanying balance-sheet.

In consequence of the short period which has elapsed since the above amount was received, the whole of the sums named have not been expended, but arrangements are being made for the erections at Macgill and Brighton (to which these remarks apply) being proceeded with. We have the honour to be, Sir, Your most obedient servants, - D. J. Draper, Superintendent Minister. A. Macdougall, Circuit Steward, Wm. Collins, Circuit Steward. John Coltok, Society Steward. G. M. Waterhouse, Society Steward.
Excerpt from South Australian Register (Adelaide), 10 April 1847.


Address:443 Brighton Road, Brighton Uniting Church, Brighton, 5048
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.016344
Long: 138.522706
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Cross
Monument Theme:Culture
Approx. Event Start Date:1847
Approx. Event End Date:1997


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:May-1997
Front Inscription

The Brighton Jetty Was
Opened In 1886 And Destroyed By
Storm In May 1994.
The Timber Used For The Cross
Was Salvaged From The Jetty
And Erected As Part Of The 
150th Celebrations In May 1997.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au