150th Anniversary of Hale SchoolPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Hale School

The sculpture commemorates the 150th anniversary of the establishment of the Hale School.

The school was named the Hale School in 1929 after Bishop Hale who established the Collegiate School in 1858 which closed in 1865. 

The Collegiate School was a predecessor of  Hale School. In 1865 the proprietorship of the School was conferred upon a Board of Governors incorporated by an Act of Incorporation and became formally described as the Perth Collegiate School, notwithstanding that it was still popularly known as the Bishop’s School. The School closed temporarily early in 1872 but several weeks later re-opened under Colonel E.W. [‘Paddy’] Haynes. It subsequently joined the newly constituted High School in 1878.

In 1923, with the proliferation of state high schools in the 1920s the name High School was no longer distinguishable from other secondary schools. The Old Boys’ Association subsequently called a meeting and members were asked to express their opinions about a change of name. Some of those suggested were: Perth Grammar School, Hale’s School and Hale College. At the meeting of the Old Boys’ Association in 1923, T.A.L. (‘Taddy’) Davy moved that the name of High School be changed to Hale School. It took another six years of sometimes heated debate before an Act of Parliament eventually ratified the new name. [that is from the school’s website]

Hale School is the oldest independent boys’ school in Western Australia. 


Address:Hale Road, Hale School, Wembley Downs, 6019
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.914444
Long: 115.782222
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:Culture
Approx. Event Start Date:1858
Approx. Event End Date:2008
Artist:Charlie Smith & Joan Walsh-Smith (Gidgegannup, WA)


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2008
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au