www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Gracemere SchoolPrint Page Print this page

29-August-2019
29-August-2019

Photographs supplied by John Huth

The monument commemorates the centenary of the Gracemere School in 1971. 

It was initiated by the Parents and Citizens Association, and funds were raised in the usual manner employed by school committees and Mr Steve William Kele, builder of the Singing Ship at Emu Park  was commissioned to design and construct the memorial. 

A curved and tapered concrete column carries the historic school bell,  the "Ellida" Bell, which had summoned over 3000 children to lessons since the school opened. It was planned for the bell to be electrically operated but instead a rope was attached.  A seven foot high boulder stands nearby and carries the plaque. 

 

Location

Address:1 O'Shanesy Street, Gracemere State School, Gracemere, 4702
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -23.435591
Long: 150.452875
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Education
Approx. Event Start Date:1871
Approx. Event End Date:1971
Designer:Steve Kele

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1971
Front Inscription

Centenary

Gracemere School

1871 - 1971

Bell from ketch "Ellida"

First vessel to navigate Fitzroy River 1855

Bell presented by the Archer family

 

Source: MA,NRUM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design