140 Years of Service to Catholic EducationPrint Page Print this page

The sculpture commemorates 140 Years of Service to Catholic Education.

Towards the end of 1868, four Christian brothers arrived in Melbourne at the invitation of Bishop Gould. They were Brothers P.A. Treacy, D.F. Bodkin, J.B. Lynch and P.J. Nolan. At the beginning of 1869 they began teaching in a small primary school at the rear of St. Francis’ Church in Lonsdale Street, and they lived in temporary rented quarters in Fitzroy.

Immediately, they began planning for the establishment of a permanent foundation, monastery and school on land they had procured in Victoria Parade, East Melbourne. Their ambitions were realized when, in 1871 (January 29), their fine new college was blessed by Bishop Gould in the presence of the venerable Archbishop Polding who had journeyed from Sydney for the occasion. Thus was founded Parade College, dedicated to Mary Immaculate.

The building was an imposing bluestone structure of three storeys, the design of W.W. Wardell, architect of St. Patrick’s Cathedral Melbourne, and St. Mary’s in Sydney. On the opening day, January 30, over one hundred boys were enrolled and the number increased steadily as accommodation became available. Melbourne’s scattered population at the time was 150,000 of whom 40,000 were Catholic.

As more Brothers arrived from Ireland, the number of boys in attendance increased to the point where, in 1902, during the Headmastership of Br J.B. Nugent, the building was extended to complete the original design. So, it stands today.


Address:1436 Plenty Road, Belltower Court. Parade College, Bundoora, 3083
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.690291
Long: 145.065138
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:Culture
Approx. Event Start Date:1871
Approx. Event End Date:2011


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2010
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au