Teachers & Students of Mallee Corner SchoolPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Denis Binnion

The plaque commemorates teachers and students of Mallee Corner School which was located at the site from 1895 to 1942.

In 1895 Mallee Corner School opened on private land, section 236 Hundred of Boucaut. The playground area not being seperated from the paddock at that time. Miss Jean Freebairn being the first teacher. On October 15th 1914 the school caught fire and was burnt down although the desks and all other equipment inclusive of the school library were saved. The parents of the 1914 students raised a sum of £100 that paid for a new stone building 25'x15'x11' high. This new school was officially opened on February 19th 1915 and there was a open air concert conducted by the students and parents that started at 8.15 pm.

Mallee Corner School closed on the 30th October 1942. 




Address:Mallee Road & Power Station Road, Brinkworth, 5464
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.667189
Long: 138.332513
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Approx. Event Start Date:1895
Approx. Event End Date:1942


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 20th September, 1987
Front Inscription

Mallee Corner School

Dedicated to teachers and scholars

1895 - 1942

Plaque unveiled by Mr. R. A. Atkinson Chairman Snowtown District Council

September 20th. 1987

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au